Tuesday 26 March 2013

Map of the Society

This is a map of the Society that Matched takes place in. It shows the many different provinces under the control of the Society. Cassia's province, Oria, in the blue central province encompassing the Centra. Cassia's mother is from the Farmlands and Arboretum section just outside of Oria. Ky is from the Outer Provinces (depicted by the large pink province in the south). This map helps me understand how far away Ky spent most of his childhood, and how far he had to travel to live with his aunt and uncle in Oria. 

This helps me better visualize the novel's contents, because I get a better idea of where everything takes place, the climate of the area, and the landscape. I know that there are cotton fields in Oria, and this fits in with modern-day central America. Also, this map shows me just how powerful the Society is; they are controlling nearly the entirety of North America. Also, it shows how similar everyone's lives are; that location doesn't change the fact that everyone is Matched to someone they don't know (most of the time), and is under the power of the Society.

I created this map based on information from the Matched trilogy, including text as well as a map from Crossed. Also, Aimmy Arrowshigh's map helped me create my own. Despite Sonoma Province looking like a dinosaur and Grandia like a trident (and Quebec having a face), I think I did a pretty good job of representing the Society.

In the book, it says that The Outer Provinces and River Sisyphus (the largest river in North America; the Columbia) were meant to be West of Oria; that Central was IN Oria Province; Acadia had to be "many miles" East of Oria and full of "rock and forest"; Tana had to border Camas.

What I did differently from Aimmy Arrowshigh is that I made the Outer Provinces actually border the Society in the south. I found it logical that if they were 'outer' they must be on the outside protecting the important provinces in the middle. Also, I made Centra in the current geographical center (even though this would probably change in a cataclysmic shift) of North America, as opposed to just the center on the US. I figured that after such a fall in the government, then a rise of a new one, there'd be no separation between Canada and the United States (and Mexico), and it would be one  large country split into many different provinces. I also decided to separate Oria from the Farmlands, because in the book, it says that Cassia's mother and father were from different provinces, and both came to live in Oria.


4 comments:

  1. Does this include information from Reached? There's some other geographical stuff in there. Pg. 181 has Ky thinking about how nothing sets Oria apart, "not like Camas, which has the mountains to set it apart, or Acadia, which has a rocky shore to the East Sea, or Central with all its lakes. The middle provinces-Oria and Grandia, Bria and Keya- look pretty much the same." Your map doesn't even have Bria it looks like? I can see how Central would have the lakes, though. Also, what about the Stone Villages? Any thoughts on where they would go?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which city was Cassia located?

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you think of my blog (don't be too mean, this IS a school project, and I'm no blogging expert) in the comments section: