Tuesday 2 April 2013

Quotes 4

“Now that I've found the way to fly, 
which direction should I go into the night?”

This quote is from the very beginning of the book, when Cassia is having a dream about flying. Cassia abruptly wakes up, and shakes the thought out of her head. It was foolish to think such thoughts; people can't fly! The absurdity of the though amuses her; especially when her green silk wings bend into a shape of her own inventions and the night sky doesn't frighten her. The green silk represents something beautiful she had, but was taken away from her; her Matching ceremony dress. It is something she can never have again, and it is already a thing of the past; something else people of the Society shouldn't dwell on.

This represents the beginning of the book, because it shows how citizens in the Society can't even think of something impossible without being stomped down on by the Officials. Well, not literally, but everyone is raised thinking that imagination is wrong, and dreaming absurd things is a sin. In the beginning of the book, she is naive, and wouldn't dare think that something as impossible as a human flying. This is also foreshadowing because eventually Cassia will be free from the firm grasp of the Society, and she will be free to fly in whichever direction she chooses. She says that the blackness of the night doesn't frighten her; and this represents leaving the Society and being her own person. It is uncertain what she will find, and these things may be quite shocking, but it is nothing to fear.

This quote reminds me of life and our everyday choices. Once we are given the opportunity to choose and do something for ourselves, we often don't know where to go, and what to do with this newfound freedom. We know that we are free to do as we wish, but we don't truly know what direction we want to take to become our own person. This quote also reminds me of a book I read called The Queen of Babble by Meg Cabot. This book is about a girl who knows what she wants with life, but doesn't know how to get there. She wants to be a dress designer, but as soon as she's out of university, she has no idea how she is going to achieve her dream. This quote also reminds me of my free time (when I'm done a large project, for example, wink, wink, nudge, nudge) and how I spend it. There are a million things I want to do, but I don't know where to start, and where I want to go. However, I never know how I'm going to do what I want I do, even though I have the time to do whatever I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell me what you think of my blog (don't be too mean, this IS a school project, and I'm no blogging expert) in the comments section: